Subject: Re: Doing Lightspeed
From: Scott Burton <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 23:53:47 -0500

On Sun, 17 Dec 1995, Steve Bowie wrote:

> So...what do you think, is BETA an absolute must?  When is it not? And, how
> many flavours of Beta are there?  Which one do I want??

For broadcast yes it is! (although a certain TV staion here in the CITY 
would disagree with that).  

I work with a small Production company here in Toronto as Technical 
Director and Animator, and it is really sad to see the final product 
mastered on SVHS.  The quality drops so drastically from one generation to 
the next.  

Basically there are 3 "flavors" of BETA...

Beta......consumer level format. Little better than VHS, now obsolete.

BetaCam...old profesional level format, now obsolete but still ok.

BetaCamSP..Proffesional level format SP = Superior Perfomace (I think)
           Industry Standard!

Digital Betacam..Best of the best in the BetaCam family. Digital says it ALL
                 Replacing Betacam SP as industry standard.

Hope this helps!

Scott Burton - Lightwave Moderator - Command Line BBS
[email-masked]          (416) 533-8321